Moving away from the legal profession is a very big decision for a lot of lawyers, and one not to be taken lightly. It is something that comes up time and time again during our private career coaching sessions with clients, usually when lawyers get to about 3-6 years PQE or more.
If you are considering your options, think about the following:
1. Is it your job or your profession that is making you consider your options? Decide very carefully indeed…
2. Have you had thoughts about something you would like to do? If not, think. It is no good leaving the legal profession without any thought as to what you can do instead.
3. Have you got your financial commitments covered for a period of time?
4. Have you been to get experience in the profession you are thinking about going into?
5. Have you sat down and thought through all the factors affecting your decision making?
More to Law is a good starting website, together with Alec for free careers tests online. Our career coaching service is available at www.ten-percent.co.uk/career.htm